Wednesday, June 3, 2015

My Father and the Korean People's Association


My father lived by "ji-won", 'Righteous Aspirations', for all of his life. He preached his
way of life not only to his family but also to his associates at Sunwha and Myongsin
schools and other places. He exhibited his calligraphy of ji-won, two Chinese characters,
whenever he had chance. Even today, his calligraphy of ji-won pops up here and there. He
liked calligraphy. (Photo: My father's calligraphy - Ji Won).
In those days, people worshipped Chinese calligraphy and the works of famous people and
authors were much valued; they were made into hanging picture scrolls or folding
screens. It was a fad of the time. I, too, was swept up in this fad - I did not know any better then. My
father posted his writings wherever he could without any framing or decorations.
When I was old enough, Father began to lecture me on the importance of patriotism; he taught me that in
order to love Korea, I must think big. Ji-won, righteous aspirations, stands for grand ideas for doing
good. There is nothing new or significant about a father teaching his son to have a grand vision. But
realizing one's vision in a real world requires diligence and years of hard work.  

No comments:

Post a Comment